Moving into a care home may include some financial implications, however there is help available depending on whether you’re looking for permanent residential care, temporary residential care or whether you’re paying for your partner’s care.

If the local authority is involved in arranging your placement, the amount you will have to pay will be worked out via a means test, which is based on nationally set guidelines.

It is important to remember that you ultimately have a choice in which care home you decide is best for you, or the individual you care for, however there are some determining factors which may affect the amount your local authority will contribute to your care financially. has useful information to help you with all aspects of the funding process including a fees chart to show you the different options for funding your care.

Continuing Healthcare

NHS Continuing Healthcare is the name given to care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital but have complex ongoing healthcare needs.

If you are eligible, you can receive NHS continuing healthcare in any setting for example:

  • In your own home – the NHS will pay for healthcare, such as services from a community nurse or specialist therapist, and personal care, such as help with bathing, dressing and laundry
  • In a care home – as well as healthcare and personal care, the NHS will pay for your care home fees, including board and accommodation.

For more information on Continuing Healthcare, including an explanation of the process used to determine an individual’s eligibility for funding.

For any further queries, please contact the Continuing Healthcare team at West Essex CCG on 01992 566140 or via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.